I saw 25 minutes of JJ Abrams’ Star Trek
… and OMG, can I geek out here and say that it was awesome, and it’ll be fantastic and it most probably will restore some faith in the Trek franchise, especially in jaded Trekkers like me, who refused to watch the last episode of Enterprise out of sheer disgust.
Needless to say, I was hopping up and down in my seat (mentally anyway) at the special preview, knowing that Trek is probably safe in Abrams’ hands.
But just watching the trailer itself was a clue of what’s to come – a Star Trek movie that is grittier, more realistic (strangely), earthier, sexier and exciting. There has always been a layer and cheese and sterility over the Star Trek shows, original and spin offs. Everything’s just so … clean and neat and nice and pretty … But JJ Abrams’ version is just … I can’t explain it – real. But there will always be super hard core Trekkers out there who will be incensed if Abrams changed a single indentation on a Romulan’s forehead. Of which he did. Watch out for the rotten tomatoes from those bunch – there will be no pleasing them!
If you want the blow by blow account of what I saw, head over to Nikki Finke’s blog post. I personally prefer not to spoil anyone about the movie because well, watching bits and pieces of it like I did was like eating a really delicious slice of cake only to have it yanked away just as you were getting to the best part of the dessert.
I can give vague clues:
- Sulu is no softie. No siree. Fencing!
- Is it me, or did Spock look as if he was going to turn Sylar on Kirk?
- I love Bones! Karl Urban yay!
- I love Scotty! The Hot Fuzz dude is a perfect choice. He’s so … chipper.
- Who Spock’s mummy is is a pleasant surprise.
- They have added quite a dose of Bourne to Trek’s action scenes. Whoowee!
- Chekov x 10. How in the world do people understand him?
- Red shirts! Hahahahahaa…
Oh, to wait five more months for a glimspe of Trek …