Download my resume (PDF)
Sept 2012 to present: Digital Content Specialist @ Social Media Marines
- Write copy for websites, advertisements, press releases and scripts for videos
- Edit content
- Assess, catalogue, and organise web site content (content inventory)
- Develop content strategy documents for clients/projects
- Help with Social Media marketing strategy and design input
- Define editorial workflow for projects
- Write training materials for corporate and online workshops
- Speak and present to clients about content strategy
July 2012 to present: Novelist, Freelance Writer & Columnist
- Write content for print and online media with good SEO.
- Research the latest social media platforms, software, e-books and applications for personal computers, e-book readers, iPad, Android phones and iPhones.
- Develop the brand, USP and web content strategy for print and online publications.
- Wrote proposals for new columns or pullouts and developed strategies for implementation
- Edit and proofread content.
- Write fiction: children’s books, Young Adult and adult novels and novellas.
- Design and create e-books in presentable format.
- My in-depth knowledge and experience writing about the digital publishing industry made me the perfect candidate to write a new column for The Star’s iPad edition and I was given the column. The column, Reading Revolution, will begin in September.
- Signed on with Discern Publishing House and Penerbit Wawasan Nusa to write four books and ten books respectively.
- Made a member of Christian magazine Asian Beacon’s Web Committee because of my experience writing online content, setting up blogs and use of social media. I am a timely and crucial addition to the publication as I can help them transition to a more digital platform.
2005-July 2012: Feature Journalist (Section 2 and StarMag), sub-editor and columnist for The Star.
- Proofread layouts, edit copy, write headlines and design pages as advertorial supplement sub-editor.
- Wrote features on a wide variety of areas such as entertainment, the environment, books and social issues.
- Supervise freelance writers and in-house journalists, assigning them tasks, ensuring that they meet deadlines and editing their copy.
- Made supplements sub-editor (2005-present)
- Promoted to Senior Writer (April 2011)
- Created and managed OtakuZone, a section on anime, and manga in the newspaper (2006-present)
- Columnist (2010 to present) of “Popculture Vulture”, a column on pop culture, and “Worlds of Wonder”, a column on graphic novels (2010)
2003-2005: Sub-editor for Section 2, The Star
- Proofread and edit copy, write headlines and design pages
Appointed sub-editor and content co-ordinator for “Kids’ Turn”, a two-page section for children in Section 2
Feb 21, 2000 – 2003: Journalist, Section 2, The Star
- Researched and wrote lifestyle articles
- Managed and wrote website content
Designed, developed and maintained Purple Sofa, a website for Youth 2, which is part of Section 2.
Sept to Dec 1998: Copywriter for Unigrafix Sdn Bhd, Petaling Jaya
- Wrote copy for press releases, advertorials and advertisements
Produced High Flyers, a 50-page publicity brochure which featured 28 successful students of Limkokwing Institute of Creative Technology.
Multimedia: Able to create and manage blogs, Twitter and Facebook accounts for editorial purposes.
Languages: Fluent in English (IELTS = Band 9) and Malay, and conversant in Mandarin and Hokkien.
Software: Adobe InDesign, QuarkXpress, Adobe InCopy, Prestige, Microsoft Word, Open Office, Adobe Photoshop, and WordPress.
Bachelor of Arts in Mass Communications (Journalism) 1999-2000 Curtin University of Technology, Perth
Scholarship: 1999 Curtin International Scholarship
Diploma in Business Communications (Advertising) 1996 – 1998 Limkokwing Institute of Creative Technology, Kuala Lumpur (now Limkokwing University) Affiliated with Auckland Institute of Technology, New Zealand (now Auckland University of Technology)
- The Dumex Best in Marketing Award (1997)
- Outstanding Student Award (1998)