A small selection of articles I’ve written over the years for The Star.
- The Silver Lining: What happens to books that are seized by the Malaysian authorities?
- Sudden, and planned: Acid attack survivors face tough challenges.
- Circle of Love: OrphanCare comes up with a plan to save abandoned babies.
- He’s my daughter: Transsexuals endure a lot of hardships in Malaysia. But a mother’s love can make all the difference.
Safe, clean and abundant
Is nuclear energy the safe, “green” energy of the future?
Sustainable fashion to protect Earth
Can fashion be fashionable and green? A few Malaysian think so.
End of the pipeline
What will happen to modern civilisation if the world runs out of oil?
Fashion and Beauty
Met Nicholas Cage in Beverly Hills for Sorcerer’s Apprentice and the result is Teacher Man and Magical Power.
Zooming in on zombies: Interview with Andrew Lincoln of The Walking Dead.
In a lighter vein (Jan 21, 2010) and Walsh’s world (Jan 24, 2010) for Legion. Was a treat to meet Paul Bettany and Kate Walsh! It’s an even bigger treat when Paul served us drinks!
Terminator Salvation: Interviewing Christian Bale after the screaming scandal was challenging, but the man was an utter professional. It is also interesting to speak to Aussie actor Sam Worthington before he hit it big with Avatar: Good Christian (May 17, 2009) and Soldier of Fortune (May 28, 2009).
Enchanted: As a warm-blooded female, it was next to impossible trying to concentrate when Patrick Dempsey and James Marsden was next to me. Somehow, I managed: Humorous Turn and Keeping it real is the result.
Camelot: Visiting the set of Camelot in Ireland in November 2010 is such a treat (Attention to Detail). Here’s a Dark Retelling of the Arthurian tale.
Rome: Met actor Kevn McKidd in Singapore and was astounded when he joined us for pottery lessons (!) and dinner. McKidd eventually ended up in Grey’s Anatomy. Success couldn’t have happened to a nicer bloke. You’ll be happy to Meet McKidd.
Little Nyonya: This Singaporean drama about Peranakans is quite a hit. Have a look at Big Little Nyonya.
- In Perfect Harmony: Dama Orchestra’s musical nurtures young talent.
- Life Sdn Bhd 6: Abuse: The Actors Studio gives voice to those who have gone through abuse.
- Pygmalion: Kuala Lumpur Performing Arts Centre gives Bernard Shaw’s classic social commentary play a new feel.
- Dram Projects: An unassuming old block of flats in Section 17, Petaling Jaya, becomes a space for creative exploration.
- Fallen Leaves: HIV positive actors tell their stories on stage in this unique production.